We are seeking a talented designer (with a keen eye) and leader to head our Design Department for 2017 and join the SMASH! Family. You are responsible for developing the aesthetics, branding and visual assets of SMASH! while managing a team of designers to help develop the aesthetics, branding and visual assets of the convention.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate quality leadership skills, be able to manage and delegate tasks appropriately and efficiently, manage and meet deadlines in a timely fashion and have the confidence and direction to maintain and improve SMASH!’s design culture, branding and visual assets. You will be required to submit in a portfolio along with your resume.
• Management and coordination of assistant graphic designers and administration of the department and external illustrators.
• Develop graphics and visuals for SMASH! in a variety of mediums and products (primarily print and online).
• Initiate and manage design projects and briefs as required for SMASH!
• Coordinate with department heads and executive directors for Management issues.
A successful candidate must be able to demonstrate:
• A good understanding of the design process with a high level of proficiency and use of Adobe Creative Suite (Esp. InDesign and Photoshop)
• Experience in print design
• Strong interpersonal and leadership skills with strong initiative and motivation
• Ability to give and accept constructive criticism and demonstrate the willingness to help the team grow
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Strong time management and planning skills to meet tight deadlines
• Ability to take initiative and work independently when needed
• Illustrative Skills
• Architectural design skills
• Web design experience or an understanding of user experience/user interface
• Experience working in design for events or event management
• Basic understanding of Pre-press
To be considered for this role you must also be:
• Easily contactable (mainly via email or phone) i.e. daily email updates
• Flexible with schedule from February - September for regular fortnightly meetings/workshops online or otherwise, especially on weekends.
Please note that this role is for a not-for-profit organisation and means that it is unpaid and the majority of work will be take-home. As volunteers who share a collective passion for putting together an event for fans by fans and we endeavour to maintain a positive working environment based on team support and fostering professional growth. We offer references after the event that is a testament to the unique skill and experience you've developed by working with SMASH!. If you believe that you have all the skills, knowledge and attributes to be a part of SMASH! 2017, apply now!