SMASH! has always valued not only being an entertaining convention but also a great looking one. This is where the design team gets to work! We are looking for a Graphic Designer for our Design Department. This role will allow you to apply your creative skills to the genre of Japanese anime and manga pop culture style, while gaining hands-on experience with a large scale event. This position is suited to people who love this genre and would like to explore with this art further. The role would take a couple of hours a week or you may only be called upon from time to time in the lead up to our convention in August depending on your availability.
As a Graphic Designer you will be responsible for creating a range of promotional and on the day material for SMASH! This can range from social media posts, posters, in house documents, print adverts, signage and more. You will collaborate with other designers on the team and work together with the Design Director and other relevant departments for works that may be needed for various uses i.e. public relations images or marketing images for particular audiences. You will report to the Design Department Director for Smash! You will have the responsibility of jobs issued to you as you are able to take them.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS
- Able to act professionally and liaise with other staff members
- Think creatively but able to work within style guides
- Able to take constructive criticism
- Have a good understanding of the design process with high level proficiency and use of Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign and Photoshop).
- Work to set deadlines
- Experience with print design
- High attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure
- High level illustration skills
- Experience with online/onscreen design
- Mentoring younger / new budding designers.
- Ability to delegate work.
When applying please attach a portfolio or link to online examples of your work and indicate areas you have experience or interest in.
NOTE: Smash! is a volunteer organisation and as such the position you are applying for is unpaid