SMASH! Design is looking for new Graphic Designer Assistants to work hand in hand with the Design Director, Coordinators and Designers. As an Assistant Graphic Designer, you will be responsible for assisting the Graphic Designer in all design requests and designing materials for all departments on a wide range of promotional and on the day material for SMASH! This can range from social media posts, posters, in house documents, print adverts, signage and more. Projects may vary from print based works like signage and program booklets, to digital works such as social media posts and advertisements, but you will also get the opportunity to take total ownership of your job.We encourage being proactive and taking initiative; if you want to take up a particular brief, don’t be scared to put your hand up and volunteer! And don’t be afraid to ask for feedback! Our team is always happy to help and assist if needed.
The candidate will be expected to report to and support the Graphic Designers of Smash!, flex on their creative skills and design effective promotional marketing materials, including photography, website and design is consistent with the theme/branding style of SMASH! for post production. This role will allow you to apply your creative skills to the genre of Japanese anime and manga pop culture style, while gaining hands-on experience with a large scale event. Please note that this application require the submission of a design portfolio.
This includes; but is not limited to:
- Designing effective promotional marketing materials
- Ensuring that all promotional marketing materials, including photography, website and design is consistent with the theme/branding style of SMASH! for post production.
- Photography post-production - colour grading, toning, photo retouching etc.
- Source and print all material to be used and set it up during and before convention
- Developing promotional images for social media posts, posters, marketing campaigns, print adverts, in-house documents, signage and more.
- Provide input and feedback on specific campaigns when required
Professional qualifications in Design are not essential, however it is expected that you will have sufficient knowledge in Adobe Creative Suite programs, particularly Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. A basic knowledge in layout design and colour is encouraged, while experience in illustration is desired. Since SMASH! is a pop culture event, knowledge or familiarity in Japanese pop culture is heavily desired. We recommend those who may not have much experience in the Design industry, or those who aren’t working in Design but have a passion for it, to apply for the Graphic Designer Assistant position.
To be considered for the role, you must
- Proficiency in written English and a clear and friendly writing style are essential.
- Require availability for both days of the convention and set up day
- Reside in Sydney, Australia
- Easily contactable via Email & Mobile phone
- Demonstrate proficiency in Indesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Art direction on both photoshoot and envision of on-the-day cafe.
- Basic lighting and photography knowledge.
- Understanding different requirements between print and online designs.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills with strong initiative and motivation
- Ability to take constructive criticism
- Strong time management and planning skills to meet deadlines
- Ability to take initiative and work independently when needed with great attention to detail
- Must submit a portfolio/Samples of cute theme designs and retouched photos (before and after) you have created previously.
- A good understanding of the design process with a high level of proficiency and use of Adobe Creative Suite (Esp. InDesign and Photoshop)
- Experience in print design
- Previous volunteer or customer service experience is desired, but not essential.
- Basic Pre-press knowledge will be good but not necessary
- Experience with studio lighting and camera gear highly valued but not necessary.
- Illustrative Skills(digital and vector)
- Sufficient understanding of layouts and colour
- Architectural design skills
- Web design experience or an understanding of user experience/user interface
- Experience with online/onscreen design
(!!!) “Please note that this is an unpaid role and the majority of work will be take-home. As a wholly volunteer-run organisation which shares a collective passion for putting together an event for fans by fans, we endeavour to maintain a positive working environment based on team support and fostering professional growth. We offer references after the event as a testament to the unique skills and experiences you will develop through working with SMASH!. If you believe that you have all the skills, knowledge and attributes to be a part of SMASH! 2018, apply now!"